The Belleville Public Library (BPL) is an authorized United States Passport Application Acceptance Facility and accepts passport applications on behalf of the U. S. Department of State. Applicants are responsible for providing complete and accurate information on passport applications. Incorrect or incomplete information may result in processing delays and/or denial of an application.
BPL only offers processing for first-time applicants for a passport book and/or card. Passport renewal applications are not accepted at the BPL. To renew a passport, see the Passport Renewal Section below.
Passport forms and BPL hours of acceptance, fees, and requirements can be found on this page. Library Research and Instruction Staff are available to perform this service by appointment only. Please follow the guidelines below. Incomplete applications and applications submitted outside of designated passport acceptance times will be ineligible for processing.
- Complete the DS-11 Application Form
- Do not sign the application until instructed by the passport agent to do so
- The application can be completed on-line, printed from travel.state.gov, or obtained from the BPL's Research Desk staff
- If completing by hand, print legibly and use only black ink. Applications with whiteout or correction tape will not be accepted
- Proof of Citizenship (applicant must provide one of the following)
- Original birth certificate or certified copy of the original. Hospital certificates and photocopies are not acceptable.
- Previous US Passport (for applicant over the age of 16)
- Naturalization Certificate
- Certificate of Citizenship
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad
- Proof of Identity
- Illinois residents must provide a valid Illinois Drivers License or State ID
- Non-Illinois residents must provide a valid Drivers License and a U.S. Department of the State approved secondary identification
- Passport Photo
- A 2 x 2 inch official passport photo taken within the prior 6 months. The photo must be of the full face with a plain white or off-white background. BPL offers passport photo services for a fee of $10 for two, 2 x 2 inch, color photos.
- Refer to the U. S. Department of State's Photo Requirements and Recommendations for additional details
- Fees ( 2 separate payments are required)
- The Application Fee can only be paid with a check or money order made payable to the Department of State. For information regarding fees, visit the Department of State Passport Fees webpage which includes a Passport Fee Calculator and Fee Chart.
- The Acceptance Fee of $35 per application can be paid by cash, credit card, or a check made payable to the Belleville Public Library.
- All fees may be subject to change
Applicants under the age of 16 must be accompanied by all legal guardians. If a parent or legal guardian is unavailable, they must submit a Parent Statement of Consent Form (DS-3053) with a notarized signature from the unavailable parent or guardian, and a copy of the front and back of the ID that was presented to the Notary Public.
Applicants between the ages of 16 and 17 must have at least one parent or legal guardian present at the time of the application.
View additional information regarding children under 16 on the U.S Department of State website.
Passport Service Location & Hours
Belleville Public Library
121 E. Washington St.
Belleville, IL 62220
Monday - Thursday
10:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Friday & Saturday
10:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Passport services are available by appointment only. To schedule an appointment, call 618-234-0441, x6140. Applications are accepted up to one hour before closing.
Processing times are currently taking longer than usual. It may take up to 24 weeks to receive your passport. The BPL is unable to check the status of passports. The applicant must call 1-800-487-2778 or visit the U.S. Department of State website for passport application status.
Passport Renewals for Adults
To renew a 10-year adult passport, visit the U.S. Department of State website and download DS-82 and its instructions. Renewals can be done by mail if all of the following apply regarding the applicant's most recent U.S. Passport:
- Passport is undamaged and can be submitted with renewal application
- Passport was issued at age 16 or older
- Passport was issued within the past 15 years
- Passport was issued in applicant's current name or applicant can document legal name change with certified copy of marriage certificate or government issued document evidencing name change
The BPL does not accept passport renewal applications. Completed renewal applications must be mailed with payment to the address provided on the form.
For Additional Information
- Call the BPL Passport Application Acceptance Office at 618-234-0441, x 6140
- Visit the U.S. Department of State travel information at travel.state.gov
- Call 1-877-487-2778 or 1-888-874-7793 for TDD/TTY assistance. Automated information is available 24/7. To speak to a customer service representative, call between 8AM and 10PM, EST, Monday -Friday, except federal holidays.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org